Beta Chapter, Alpha Phi Alpha, Howard University, 1913.
Alpha Phi Alpha (ΑΦΑ) was the first Inter-Collegiate Black Greek Letter fraternity. It was founded on December 4, 1906 at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. Alpha Phi Alpha developed a model that was used by the many Black Greek Letter Organizations (BGLOs) that soon followed in its footsteps. It employs an icon from Ancient Egypt, the Great Sphinx of Giza as its symbol, and its aims are “manly deeds, scholarship, and love for all mankind,” and its motto is First of All, Servants of All, We Shall Transcend All.
Credit: Lorenzo Dow Turner Papers, Anacostia Community Museum, Smithsonian Institution, gift of Lois Turner Williams.